Des Moines Samson Society
Too many men see the biblical hero Samson as their model for manhood - a rugged individualist of the highest order. Yet, Samson's solitary successes were eventually overcome by moral weaknesses. The Samson Society is a company of Christian men helping one another in our common journey towards restoration. We are:
- Natural loners — who have recognized the dangers of isolation and are determined to escape them,
- Natural wanderers — who are finding spiritual peace and prosperity at home,
- Natural liars — who are now finding freedom in the truth,
- Natural judges — who are learning how to judge ourselves aright,
- Natural strongmen — who are experiencing God’s strength as we admit our weaknesses.
The Samson Society is a fellowship of Christian men who are serious about authenticity, community, humility and recovery - serious, but not grave. We are traveling-companions on a great spiritual adventure, not grim pilgrims on a death march to personal holiness. We challenge each other daily to believe the incredible news that God actually knows us, loves us, and has restored us to himself. As we follow Christ together, we find our lives progressively interrupted by righteousness, peace and joy.
- We are not a church. We are simply one extension of the church universal.
- We are not an "accountability group." Instead of living our lives separately and reporting (or lying) about our progress, we try to live our lives together.
- We are not a "men's group." Okay, so there are no women, but that doesn't make us a men's group, does it? Please. Most of us have had it up to here with men's groups.
- We are not a 12-step group. Sure, most of us have been trapped in some kind of compulsive activity, but our addictions do not define us, and we do not segregate our membership by behavior.
- We are not perfect. Not even close. We are broken individuals, but in our fractured fellowship we find a foretaste of God's approaching re-creation.
We meet every Thursday from 8:00 - 9:00 pm in downtown Des Moines.
We meet at a restaurant for fellowship following each meeting.
If you are new, call before coming.
There are occasions when we have the meeting at another location.
Joey Leaming | 515.707.6054
Timothy Meinch | 515.238.9792